The Alexandria Aces Internship Program is a great way for motivated college and high school level students to gain experience, and develop and refine skills vital to successfully running a baseball organization. Focused primarily on Game Day Operations, the Aces program provides several students opportunities in areas such as Community Relations, Sponsorships, Press Box Operations, Concessions, and Ticket Sales.
The crux of the 2017 Aces Internship Program is the approximately 20 to 24 home games at Frank Mann Field where the interns form the core of the Aces Game Day Staff. Here, depending on specific roles and responsibilities, the interns apply their skills as they interact with hundreds of people to include the players and coaches, the grounds crew and umpires, the game night sponsors and most importantly, the fans both in attendance and following the game via the Internet and/or social media. It takes a capable and enthusiastic Game Day Staff to make each game a success!
The Alexandria Aces, a member of the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League, are highly respected and carry themselves with the utmost professionalism. We look forward to providing a rewarding opportunity for those highly motivated individuals who have a strong interest in the field of sports management, and the great game of baseball. Due to a limited number of options (historically one or two) for housing the interns from outside the Northern Virginia and Washington DC Metro area, the Aces are very much interested in providing these opportunities to college and high school students residing in the local area during the 2017 season. In addition, please note that these are non-paying positions. Each of the Game Day Staff will be provided an Aces polo shirt. The Aces will gladly complete and/or provide paperwork towards fulfilling community service hours and/or attaining school credit hours.
If you are interested in any of the available internships below, please send a resume and cover letter to Aces General Manager Kimmy McCarthy at AcesAGM@gmail.com.
2017 Internships Offerings
GAME DAY INTERNS – 4 VACANCIES
The Game Day Interns are required to attend all home games. Arrival varies from 2 hours 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes prior to game time, depending on assigned responsibilities. Game Day Interns stay until all post game duties are fulfilled approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour after the final pitch. Positions include, but are not limited to the following:
- The Ticket Sales/Merchandise Coordinators set up and operate the Main Gate with an emphasis on ticket sales, to include Group Sales, game day give aways, and ordering, stocking and selling souvenirs. Upwards of two personnel are required each game. FULFILLED
- The Concession Stand Coordinators set up and operate the Concession Stand with an emphasis on arranging for the delivery or pickup of the hot food items (e.g. hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza) and the inventory of all of the other items offered such as drinks, chips, and candy. Upwards of two personnel are required each game.
- The Post Game Meal Coordinator arranges the menu and the delivery or pickup and set up of the Aces post game meal. Reestablished in 2015, the post game meal is either home cooked by one of the Aces fans or purchased by the Aces from a local dining establishment.
- The PR and Field Event Coordinator choreographs on field promotions such as the Field of Dreams, ceremonial 1st pitch, National Anthem and the 50/50 raffle on select nights. This individual also assists with setting up game day sponsor tables and helps ensure water and ice is kept adequately supplied to both dugouts. Responsible for creating the weekly advertisements printed in the local newspapers and in other print forums. In addition, this individual helps maintain strong relationships with local corporate sponsors and works to recruit additional commercial sponsorship. Furthermore, this individual coordinates required support for the Aces Baseball Camps and interaction with other local charitable organizations. FULFILLED
- The Social Media Coordinator attends all Aces games, whether home or away, to provide real time posting of game highlights on the Aces’ social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). This individual also leads efforts to expand and/or enhance the Aces social media footprint. Social media proficiency is required.
PRESS BOX INTERNS – 2 VACANCIES
The Press Box Interns are required to attend all home games. Arrival varies from 2 hours 15 minutes to 1 hour prior to game time, depending on assigned responsibilities. Press Box Interns stay until all post game duties are fulfilled approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour after the final pitch. Positions include, but are not limited to the following. The Broadcaster(s) and Official Scorer are assigned specific duties. The remaining Press Box duties can be rotated among the staff:
- The Public Address Announcer is required to arrive at the ballpark at least 1 hour prior to game time. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparing and reading the pre-game script, announcing the starting lineups, and all batters and any substitutions, and reading the between-inning script. Previous experience as a public address announcer is not required. FULFILLED
- The Music Coordinator is required to ensure the sound system and music is functional 2 hours prior to game time when batting practice commences. Duties include, but are not limited to, setting up the speakers on the press box, operating the press box mixer, and coordinating individual player music and situational music (e.g. pitching changes, home runs, mound visits, etc) throughout the game. The Music Coordinator works closely with the Public Address Announcer throughout the game to synchronize the Public Address announcements and the music. Access to an audio soundboard on your personal computer or other personal electronic device is a plus.
- The Scoreboard Operator is required to arrive at the ballpark at least 1 hour prior to game time. Duties include working the electronic scoreboard during the game and augmenting the other Game Day Staff before and after the game, as required. Familiarity with baseball required.
- The Official Scorer is required to arrive at the ballpark at least 1 hour prior to game time. Duties include inserting the starting lineups into the Pointstreak scoring software as provided by the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League (CRCBL) to keep detailed “live scoring” of the game that is accessible via the CRCBL website. While past experience as an official scorer is not required, an understanding on how to score a game is required, as is familiarity with the rules of baseball. Access to a laptop to load Pointstreak is a plus. Of all the Game Day positions, this is most critical as the official scorer drives the statistics that become the historical recap of the CRCBL and impact player selection to the CRCBL All-Star Game, All League Team and All College Summer Baseball League Teams, in addition to populating professional baseball databases. FULFILLED
- The Broadcaster (s), a minimum of one, but preferably two individuals, provide the play-by-play and/or color commentary duties for all pre, regular and post-season home games and select road games (whenever possible). Duties include maintaining and configuring the broadcast equipment provided by the Aces, broadcasting the games over the Internet, posting game highlights each inning via social media such as Twitter, and writing and posting both game previews and recaps on the Aces website and other social media sights. Furthermore, the Broadcaster(s) are responsible for preparing the Roster and game Preview Sheet provided to fans and baseball scouts before each home game. Broadcast experience is a must with baseball broadcast experience highly desired along with a strong knowledge of the game. Website and social media skills are desired while strong writing skills are a must. FULFILLED